Wednesday, April 16, 2008

My homage to 'Eat Local Food'


Alan did a whole series on eating local in Hawaii, where he lives. Day 6 was quite tasty, although it cost considerably more and a bit of a trick finding bamboo in Olds or Didsbury Alberta.

The local farmers around here have what amounts to a similar problem, in that we rely on food from everywhere else too. We're further ahead I guess in that Hawaii has such a dependence on goods shipped from the mainland and we don't. But recent border closures due to Mad Cow disease have clearly demonstrated how fragile things can be for us as well here in Alberta.

I was over visiting my lamb farmer friend, and it's getting harder and harder to make a profit raising lamb for market. The cost of barley rising, bales of hay doubling, transportation, cutting costs, it's difficult for everyone.

I for one will proudly support my local farmer! In fact, this little guy is making me hungry now! I can't wait for the fall and some fresh lamb. Mmmmmmmmmmm I'm happy to pay whatever Craig needs to be 'on the list'.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum! Does it still count as local if I fly there to help you eat it?

Mike said...

I'm in!!!

Bruce Milne said...

Lamb makes it everything alright..... But if you're coming, we'd have to figure out how to rotisserie one whole....