Thursday, January 8, 2009

Just in case you're wondering how I'm doing...


A picture says a thousand words.

I have no excuse for this. I drove out for a coffee, like I often do. I had the coffee, was driving down a different country road (scouting picture locations) and was just thinking about things. I wasn't going fast (50 - 60 km/hour), no traffic, wasn't even bad drifting snow. I wasn't drinking coffee at the time, it was in the holder. I wasn't on the phone talking or text messaging: I had my seatbelt on, two hands on the wheel, staring straight ahead.

My one excuse is that the ditch was so filled with snow, that it was impossible to know where the edge of the road was. And given it was a gravel road, a very sharp edge. Regardless, once the tire was caught on the edge, it was all over.

Luckily, of course, I did have 2 different cell devices from 2 different carriers, my GPS was running, and I was just outside of town. I could see the cell tower. The tow truck was there within an hour and I was out in 5 mins with no damage: other than $100 for the winch. It was good that it came so quick, and lucky that the engine was still running, because with the wind chill at -30, it was the kind of weather you can die in.

The good news? My coffee didn't even spill.

No comments: