Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Aid to Africa

I don't think the latest violence and election crisis in Kenya is not really a surprise to just about anyone. As a former resident of Kenya for a year, I feel like I have a bit more of an insight than someone that has never been there, and certainly have an opinion.

Foreign aid, as it is popularly discussed and utimately delivered to African nations by the UN and richer nations like the US, largely fails to make a difference. In fact, I think most of it fuels the downward spiral of African nations to the point now where countries are poorer, have more economic issues and have ended up funding military hardware that has killed many people.

Don't get me wrong: I believe in relief and development work, and feel good about things I've done. And I don't think many would disagree with me that the 'big business of relief to Africa' is so political could only fail. But I really don't hear anyone saying that. It's not politically correct.

I'm not sure how to address these issues either. But, if I were in charge, I'd start with the fact that until the African own their own lives, country, problems and stop looking outward, the aid given is bound to continue to suck the life and liveliness from the whole continent.

No comments: