Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Bruce has to own his life

So I just got my US tax statement, and they tell me I owe $12,960 in
unpaid taxes and over $1500 in fines and penalties. When I call them to
tell them I paid that missing $13k back in April, they tell me that I
filed it with a 2007 coupon, not towards 2006. And since I filed it as
such, I would have to pay the $15k in penalties now, and expect a refund
next year. They cannot re-designated payments once ear marked.

I wanted to fight, and blame the confusing system, accountants being
late, even the fact that I'm in Canada and handicapped. But I just had
to suck it up and say:

"I made a mistake. This was my bad. Oh man, I need to fix this because
I messed it up."

Then, to my surprise she said hang on a sec. She put me on hold, and
came back quoting some loophole that suddenly allowed her to move the
money to the right place. I said thank you very much.

She also told me to:
- not trust accountants that say they know it all. You need to be aware
and make things happen that I need to happen
- tax payments due in April according to a postmark *DOES NOT* apply to
a payment only. That must be sent in and received before tax day.
- Phone up and check that they have everything, once you file. Don't
wait for a statement

Thank you very much to the IRS for the help, and the lesson.

No comments: